Skip to main content

Baby Steps

I am a late comer to the investing world at 32 but hey it's better late than never.
I started investing on roboadvisors February 2019. I picked 3 platforms :
  1. Smartly.sg
  2. StashAway
  3. CIMB CGS eWealth
A little while after that, I decided to start investing via DCA (Dollar Cost Averaging) on Singapore stocks as well. So I signed up for a brokerage account via Maybank Kim Eng for their RSP (Regular Savings Plan). This turned out to be the worst investment decision of my life. Why? Because they shut down the Monthly Investment Plan 3 months after I signed up. Hence, I was left with a few counters to liquidate before end of year. What most financial bloggers didn't tell you is that the selling price for odd shares are super low! The worst part of Maybank Kim Eng's termination of the plan is they only give you time until December 2019 to sell each of your counters at $10 each! After that you'd have to cough up $40 per counter!
So, no. Please stay away as far as possible from RSP (Regular Savings Plan). They're really not worth your time. Either you invest in a roboadvisor or aggregate your savings and invest once the commission makes sense.
Over the course of the year, CIMB eWealth terminated their service in September 2019. They gave me 2 options : 1 is to liquidate my account and transfer into a money market fund and the other is to liquidate and withdraw as cash. I chose the latter. In 4 months I received 4.82% yield. Not too bad.
I also withdrew my money from Smartly.sg on November 2019 as I was spooked by their email. They are not accepting any new deposits. In my opinion, they're handling this really badly. I mean, you're a startup and when it's about money, trust is the most important. I still remember in the months leading to 1998 IMF crisis in Indonesia, people were withdrawing money if there were any negative rumours on certain banks. If you think about it, when customers rushed for deposits, whether rightly or wrongly, banks would be facing a liquidity crisis. I remember after that, Indonesian government issued a new regulation guaranteeing depositor's savings up to a certain amount. I believe it's Rp. 2 billion right now.
From Smartly.sg, I received a 6.8% return for a period of 9 months. It could have been more, however Smartly.sg re-balanced my portfolio. I attached the email from them below :
On a broad basis, we’ve moderately reduced exposures to equities and moved focus away from European, Japanese and emerging markets to a broad cross section of US growth and dividend paying stocks. In addition, alternative risk assets have been shifted from gold to energy resources, for added diversification.
Simultaneously we’ve assigned more priority to non-US developed government bonds and short term US government debt, while shifting away from US Municipal bonds.
What happened was stocks rallied and I missed the rally or else I'd be getting even better returns. Since we will never be able to control what Roboadvisor services invest on and when they're re-balancing, I decided to open a new brokerage account for me to invest on.
In retrospect, I have to say I'm pretty lucky. I started investing during one of the best time to do so as the market had just had a major correction (the trough was during December 2018) and was starting to recover.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Niu Technologies (NASDAQ:NIU) and Agora Inc (NASDAQ:API)

UPDATE So far in 2021 biggest winners have been NIO, BILI , PDD, XPEV, GDS, NIU, HMI, 1810:HK. While my biggest losers are OCFT and 1833:HK. Hence, I'm going to do a little write up on some of the interesting Chinese stocks (Some of which, I have small positions in). My goal is trying to replicate my previous successes (hopefully not failures). In this bull market, it's kind of hard to actually lose money. Who knows till when it will last though. For the remaining of the Chinese Ox year, I'm still bullish with the Chinese market and I don't seem to be the only one. Niu Technologies (NASDAQ:NIU) They have recently announced that they are in a negotiation with Gojek (The biggest ride hailing service in Indonesia). Source : Chinese electric scooter maker Niu to supply Gojek: Reports Indonesia is also a big motorcycle market (I should know, I'm from Indonesia). It seems to be a backdoor in trying to grab market share. Indonesia has its own brand of e-bike (Gesit) which

How to fund your Tiger Brokerage account and start trading

So, recently I got wind of a new brokerage opening in Singapore. They offers competitive commission and under current promotion a free stock if you deposit at least S$1000 during account opening. Don't get your hopes up too much though as I only received a single F  (Ford). In case you're interested to open a new Tiger Brokerage account, you can use my referral code for a free stock  Referral Code Link They're backed by Interactive Brokers and it also seems that they're using Interactive Brokers back end. It can get quite confusing for new users so I will try to give a tutorial on how to deposit money into Tiger Brokers. 1. Go to " Me " and Click on " Account Summary " 2. In Account Summary screen, click on " Fund Deposit " 3. Here in the Deposit screen, we have to select the currency that we want to use for funding. I'm choosing SGD as I only have SGD bank account 4. In "Remittance", it will only display the bank and account

Creating my own ARKK Innovation ETF #1 - NIO

NYSE: NIO A bit of an intro : I'm not a trader and I have to say I'm a beginner at this. I'm sharing my investment story as I go. These are not my main investments (As mentioned on my other post, I'm more into index investing). However, I do like to take risks once in a while. Some of them paid off, some don't. What is Nio? Nio is a electric car startup from China  I decided to buy NIO shares for $6.89 after weighing the pros and cons. PROS: Have just secured funding from Hefei municipal investment arm. I believe the funding is to the tune of $1 billion. I must admit I didn't check their financials as my investment amount is quite minuscule. (I'll get to this by this weekend). Tencent increased their stake to 15% in Nio (It's always good news when Tencent is involved. Afterpay ( ASX: APT) quadrupled after Tencent investment was unveiled. Do note that Tencent, like Softbank is probably investing in tens if not hundreds of startups in an effort to pick fut