Skip to main content

Creating my own ARKK Innovation ETF #2 - GDS Holdings

So, this is the second post in the series of my attempt to construct my own ARK Innovation ETF. I actually have other counters in mind, but I can't reveal my cards before I am in my positions yet. I promise you it's not all Chinese companies, but these are the ones I have decided to invest on as usually Chinese companies are relatively undervalued compared to their American counterparts. That doesn't mean that  As China and the United States are the two biggest economy and the most innovative countries in the world, the counters will skew heavily towards them. 

What is GDS?
 GDS is a data centre operator from China. Note that unlike other competitors, it's not a REIT. Hence, unlike Digital Realty (DLR) and Equinix (EQIX), GDS does not have the obligation to pay 90% of their taxable income as distributions (dividends)

Disclaimer : My cost price on this counter is 63.58 having average up once at $80. 




Who are the shareholders?
As you can see, STT has 34% shares. STT is ST Telemedia and it's owned by Temasek. If you're not from Singapore and you don't know what Temasek is, it's Singapore's Sovereign Wealth Fund. They're quite famous for growing their investment capital. That's not to say everything they touch turn to gold, but I'd say they have a good track record. Unlike Nio where they trim their holdings, ST Telemedia actually has a big 34% stake in GDS. 

Why you should invest in data centre companies? 
  • China is currently in a 'new' infrastructure drive and cloud computing has been identified as one of the pillars of 'new' infrastructure. This will result in more demand for data centres. So, I think data centre companies should be considered as a growth company. 5G adoption will driver more usage of data and this will cause a higher demand on data centre capacaties.  
  • COVID-19 pandemic has wreck havoc on our way of life and there's no guarantee that it will return to normal ever. Data centres definitely won't be affected much.  In fact, it may also increase revenues for them.
  • Increasing revenues.
  • It holds 16 buy recommendations and 0 sell recommendations.
What I don't like from GDS
  • As usual with Chinese companies listed on Nasdaq, there is a risk of delisting.
  • High interest expense and debt

My thoughts
From the cash flow statement, we can see that GDS is still expanding and investing like crazy


From the following statement, we can see that although GDS is still losing money, the bulk of it is coming from depreciation and amortisation.

The next earnings call for GDS will be on 6th August 2020. Personally, if I had the moolah, I would buy whenever there is a dip and I'll be keeping this for long term. 

As always do your own due diligence. This is not a buy/sell call

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Niu Technologies (NASDAQ:NIU) and Agora Inc (NASDAQ:API)

UPDATE So far in 2021 biggest winners have been NIO, BILI , PDD, XPEV, GDS, NIU, HMI, 1810:HK. While my biggest losers are OCFT and 1833:HK. Hence, I'm going to do a little write up on some of the interesting Chinese stocks (Some of which, I have small positions in). My goal is trying to replicate my previous successes (hopefully not failures). In this bull market, it's kind of hard to actually lose money. Who knows till when it will last though. For the remaining of the Chinese Ox year, I'm still bullish with the Chinese market and I don't seem to be the only one. Niu Technologies (NASDAQ:NIU) They have recently announced that they are in a negotiation with Gojek (The biggest ride hailing service in Indonesia). Source : Chinese electric scooter maker Niu to supply Gojek: Reports Indonesia is also a big motorcycle market (I should know, I'm from Indonesia). It seems to be a backdoor in trying to grab market share. Indonesia has its own brand of e-bike (Gesit) which

Creating my own ARKK Innovation ETF #1 - NIO

NYSE: NIO A bit of an intro : I'm not a trader and I have to say I'm a beginner at this. I'm sharing my investment story as I go. These are not my main investments (As mentioned on my other post, I'm more into index investing). However, I do like to take risks once in a while. Some of them paid off, some don't. What is Nio? Nio is a electric car startup from China  I decided to buy NIO shares for $6.89 after weighing the pros and cons. PROS: Have just secured funding from Hefei municipal investment arm. I believe the funding is to the tune of $1 billion. I must admit I didn't check their financials as my investment amount is quite minuscule. (I'll get to this by this weekend). Tencent increased their stake to 15% in Nio (It's always good news when Tencent is involved. Afterpay ( ASX: APT) quadrupled after Tencent investment was unveiled. Do note that Tencent, like Softbank is probably investing in tens if not hundreds of startups in an effort to pick fut

How to fund your Tiger Brokerage account and start trading

So, recently I got wind of a new brokerage opening in Singapore. They offers competitive commission and under current promotion a free stock if you deposit at least S$1000 during account opening. Don't get your hopes up too much though as I only received a single F  (Ford). In case you're interested to open a new Tiger Brokerage account, you can use my referral code for a free stock  Referral Code Link They're backed by Interactive Brokers and it also seems that they're using Interactive Brokers back end. It can get quite confusing for new users so I will try to give a tutorial on how to deposit money into Tiger Brokers. 1. Go to " Me " and Click on " Account Summary " 2. In Account Summary screen, click on " Fund Deposit " 3. Here in the Deposit screen, we have to select the currency that we want to use for funding. I'm choosing SGD as I only have SGD bank account 4. In "Remittance", it will only display the bank and account